Gifts of Real Estate

Giving a gift of real estate, such as a personal home, vacation home, undeveloped property, or farmland can be a highly effective philanthropic and financial strategy. By donating all or part of your real estate to the Sisters of St. Francis you may be able to reduce your capital gains tax or receive a tax deduction for the appraised value of your property. Most importantly, your donation will help provide critical support to thousands of people in need.

Potential benefits of giving real estate directly to the Sisters of St. Francis:

  • Make a larger charitable contribution
  • Eliminate capital gains tax exposure
  • Take a fair market value tax deduction.

 What types of real estate can the Sisters of St. Francis accept?

  • Land: farmland or undeveloped property
  • A personal home or vacation home
  • Other: Please contact the Sisters of St. Francis with questions.

The donor must be willing to irrevocably transfer the property to the Sisters of St. Francis, which will exclusively control any sale of the property, including negotiating the sale price.

What types of real estate are the Sisters of St. Francis not able to accept:

  • Property that is not solely owned by the donor or does not have an official deed of ownership
  • Property that is occupied other than by the donor
  • Property with a debt, mortgage or lien on property
  • Property in need of major repair
  • Time shares
  • A business
  • Other: Please contact the Sisters of St. Francis with questions.


In order to receive your tax deduction, you’ll need a current appraisal on the property. According to IRS regulations, the Sisters of St. Francis cannot pay for the appraisal. If you already have an appraisal, you do not need to get another one.

What do the Sisters of St. Francis do with the property?

The Sisters of St. Francis assesses each property, and based on the condition, location, and other factors, may fix it up, rent it out, or resell to generate profits for our charity.

The information on this website is not intended as tax or legal advice. We recommend that you consult your tax advisor, attorney, and/or financial adviser.